A very original Georgian Church… After removing the C11 church, and the village, the Wrighte family rebuilt St. Peter’s in the 1720’s to match their remodelled home at Gayhurst Manor.
…within a designed landscape… The Estate was originally shaped by Capability Brown, then Repton and latterly by William Burges. Although the Estate has long gone, the essential features are still with us to enjoy both around the House and in the neighbouring fields.
…it is rightly considered ‘a jewel in the crown’. It has often been, wrongly, attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, but found favour from Nikolaus Pevsner and is also listed in Simon Jenkins’ ‘English One Thousand Best Churches’.